School Safety Statistics [INFOGRAPHIC]
Posted On by Ralph
School Safety Statistics
Metal Detector Programs
Kids are 5.8% less likely to carry a weapon in school.
Kids are 7.5% less likely to carry a weapon going to and from school.
To the statement, ‘‘Police/security officers should search students with metal detectors’’:
- 57% of girls answered ‘‘Yes’’
- 40% of boys answered ‘‘Yes’’
- 49% of the total group answered “Yes”
Administrator’s thoughts on the effectiveness of metal detectors:
- 32% felt that metal detectors were somewhat or very effective at reducing violent crime.
- 14% felt that they were somewhat or very effective at reducing drug crimes.
- 32% of administrators from districts which utilized metal detectors felt that it was effective for reducing or minimizing crime.
Over half (55%) of administrators felt that metal detectors were ‘‘somewhat’’ or ‘‘very’’ effective ‘‘overall’’.
Fear of Violence
Students between the ages of 12-18 are more likely to be victims of violence at school than they are at home:
- Violent victimization rate at school: 37 in 1000 (3.7%)
- Violent victimization rate at home: 15 in 1000 (1.5%)
Incidents of Crime
Public schools that recorded or reported incidents of crime, vandalism, and threats of injury in school:
- Between 85% and 89% recorded incidents of crime.
- Between 60% and 65% reported incidents of crime to the police.
- Between 46% and 49% recorded incidents of vandalism.
- 9% of school teachers reported being threatened with injury by a student from their school.
Journal of School Health
Category: Crime, Infographics, Safety & Security